Cañada de los Gatos: Playa de Mogán

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria News & Forum Updates' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Mar 13, 2015.

1. After a lovely lunch in the Irish Tavern in Puerto de Mogán we decided to check out the new archaeological site Cañada de los Gatos. They have been working on this site as you can imagine for quite some time, so I was excited to see that they finally opened their doors to the public this month.

As we entered, a helpful guide appeared from the hut explaining to us that it would cost 4€ entrance each but that gives us access for 1 year. I will say I'm glad I had trainers on, after all it's the side of a ravine we were exploring.

[IMG]

Cañada de los Gatos site is set out with small bridges, steps and pathways, but on the way up to the cafe it did get steep. Past a certain point you are on the grounds of Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa and the end of the trail finishes at a locked door that only guests of the hotel can use. The guide did explain this to us, but it was so hot by the time we got to the end and the site was about to close so we just pressed the buzzer on the hotel door and left through the reception area.

[IMG]

The whole way round the site, there are information boards in Spanish, English and German filled with facts and information about the settlement. One of my favourite parts was Casa de Pie, see if you can find the footprint.

It was amazing to see that seashells made up parts of the 1500+ yr old debris that was dug up on discovering the old walls of houses. Some of the houses were even built on top of older houses that had been covered over the years.

[IMG]

Cañada de los Gatos Cafe

When you reach the cafe, treat yourself to an ice cold drink and enjoy the views over Puerto de Mogán. There is cocktail style seating and some comfy sofas but no shade. As it hasn't been open for long, I imagine this is something they will add. There is a bathroom underneath the cafe which is very clean and cool seeing as it's built into the ravine.

[IMG]

If you carry on after the cafe, you are heading into the area behind the hotel as I mentioned. There's an ancient burial ground here Las Crucecitas so look out for skeletons ;)

Cañada de los Gatos prices:
    4€ per adult
    2€ per child and seniors over 65+ with proof of age
    Don't forget passes last for a whole year so you can visit again and again as long as you produce your ticket.

Visiting Hours
    October to March: Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00 h.
    April to September: Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00 h.
    Closed Mondays, and 1st, 5th and 6th January, 1st May, and 24th, 25th and 31st December.

[IMG]
    Follow @GranCanariaBlog
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet!
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..