Gran Canaria Weather - August 2013

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Weather' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello August! I know I always say it in every new month but the time just flies very fast! Yesterday our forum member Matthew noticed that the sky had gone very grey looking on the webcams.

Yes but it's very warm also. Yesterday I went walking from Patalavaca to Anfi del Mar in the south of Gran Canaria and I thought wow it's a hot one today. The horizon gradually became more and more dusty as the day went on and by about 6pm the sky was thick with dust. This is what we call a calima, which is basically when the sand lifts up from the Sahara desert and hovers over the Canary Islands.. also known as the Saharan Air Layer.

Here is a webcam comparison of what a calima looks like:
    http://www.grancanariablog.com/2012/03/what-does-calima-look-like.html

It causes the sky to look very dusty and can increase the heat, sometimes bringing a very warm wind with it. The best thing to do in this type of weather is drink plenty of water and take shade when you can. The sun might not look so strong but it still comes through the clouds and you could still burn, plus the heat is just as intense. Keep cool and hydrate.

There isn't any weather warnings about this on AEMET which is where they would normally announce this type of weather phenomena. Temperatures have been over 30ºc degrees - a weather webcam in Arguineguin yesterday showed 34ºc degrees.

The sky is once again looking very dusty today but the sun is still trying and it's very humid and sticky. Here is a webcam from Puerto Rico that looks over Altamadores Aparthotel
    http://www.grancanariablog.com/2010/10/amadores-beach-webcam-altamadores.html
    Matthew likes this.
  2. Matthew Member

Strange there are is nothing on AEMET but thanks for the information. I hope the calima has gone by the start of next week I hate them.
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
  3. I know, I was looking back at the weather from August last year and it looks like we had quite a few calimas and heatwaves in one month. So far this Summer has been a lot more pleasant than 2012. I think it was hotter in May than some days of June and July this year. Let's see what happens and I'll keep updating :)
    Matthew likes this.
  4. Matthew Member

I am out in Gran Canaria is there a calima on the way? Please say no lol.
  5. You probably already know this by now but there is a definite heatwave out there lol. This time AEMET decided to put a yellow weather warning for high temperatures of 35ºc degrees and another one for big waves. If I didn't have things to do right now, I would jump straight into the nearest pool or the sea! :cool::)

Although hot, I don't think it's as hazy as the other week, but if you take a look at this photo from Tenerife as shared on a weather forum, it shows a heavy dust cloud up above Mt.Teide!
    http://www.cazatormentas.net/foro/s...-en-canarias-agosto-2013/msg658238/#msg658238
    Matthew likes this.
  6. It's Summer here in Gran Canaria, so of course it's going to be hot, but we have some extra heat at the moment with a heatwave bringing maximum temperatures of 38ºc degrees.
    AEMET had originally placed a yellow weather warning, which has increased to orange for Saturday 10th August this week due to the high temperatures expected.

It's recommended to drink plenty of water, not do any strenuous activity and take shade when you can.

[IMG]

[IMG]

>> Keep up to date with my live weather reports from the south of Gran Canaria over on Gran Canaria Forum!
    [IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet!
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Matthew likes this.
  7. Matthew Member

I am in Maspalomas right now and at the minute it does not feel too warm in the daytime just in the evening time. Thank you for the updates mind.
  8. I agree, the evenings in my house have been very warm - now I have to put the fan on for the whole night just to get some air moving. Looks like the hot day is going to be Saturday from what I've heard.
    Matthew likes this.
  9. Matthew Member

I just so facebook that saturday is going to be the warm day 38c and it had picture of the way the wind is going to hit the islands and looks that Gran Canaria is going to be head on. Is this going to be for one day or few please?

Thanks for all the updates :)
  10. Yes usually it takes a few days to cool down again, so I doubt it will be back to normal Summer temperatures by Sunday. So far the government have placed the warnings up until Saturday, at midnight they will refresh and we usually will be able to see Sunday's outlook also. We have coastal warnings for the next 2 days also, so the waves are going to be quite big, usually if the wind blows from Africa it's when we call it a 'Sauna Africana'.

Besides all this we now have a maximum alert for forest fires as you can see on the Spanish weather forum here:
    http://www.cazatormentas.net/foro/s...-en-canarias-agosto-2013/msg658348/#msg658348

I think today is hot, but it's going to get hotter and they are taking precautions for the weekend especially, when people usually like to light up a BBQ. I personally would stay away from the mountains on very hot days as it can feel even hotter up there (but people living up there will be better prepared with this warning), best to get near to the sea where there is a bit of breeze.
  11. Matthew Member

It was cloudy here in Maspalomas but then when the sun came out it was very warm. I know it is late in the night but waited until i have free wi-fi lol.
  12. Lol thanks for updating Matthew. Yes the haze from the heatwave was all over yesterday and here in Arguineguin the wind really got up yesterday too. I was half expecting a sandstorm but it was only about 10 minutes of gusts. The orange weather warning is still in place here in Gran Canaria for high temperatures of 38ºc degrees so far up until Thursday evening. I've known it to be a lot hotter than this but it is a relief when you can catch a breeze. Try and keep us updated Matthew don't worry what time you post :)
    Matthew likes this.
  13. Matthew Member

Not a cloud in the sky yesterday (13 august 2013) and it was also VERY HOT.I have uploaded a photo if it has worked.

Attached Files:

14. Haha great pic from under your parasol! :) Yes it seems the same again today! It was reported in Canarias7 this afternoon that Agüimes registered 41ºc degrees today! Now that is hot. The heatwave looks like it's here to stay for a while, Gran Canaria still has orange warning for temps of 38ºc right up to the weekend.
    Matthew likes this.
  15. Matthew Member

The heatwave is fine so far as long as the wind stays away I do not mind.
  16. Temperatures have been climbing for the last few days in the Canary Islands, with Gran Canaria on orange alert for high temperatures and all islands on maximum alert for risk of fires. Yesterday the heat crept up to 41ºc degrees in Agüimes and parts of the interior of the island have been reaching 40ºc degrees today.

AEMET have kept warnings in place and we are also to expect strong winds up to 80 km/h on Gran Canaria as well as maximum temperatures over the weekend.

See Gran Canaria Forum for updates on the weather.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet!
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Matthew likes this.
  17. Matthew Member

Please please please not calima? :( can not even leave windows open.
  18. At 5.30pm today it was 43ºc degrees in Arguineguin according to the thermometer clock! The sky seems to be clearing slightly and I've heard that the heatwave should start to ease from Sunday onwards. Hopefully this is the case as it's just so hot out there and it's not good with the risk of fires. The wind is forecast for tomorrow and the warning of gusts is from midnight tonight until midnight Saturday so hopefully the wind won't be very hot and it will just blow the dusty sky away.
  19. It's another very hot day here in Gran Canaria! They said that today we would have wind gusts, but so far nothing down here in the south east of the island. According to CazaTormentas we could have some tropical rain here toward the end of the month!

[IMG]
    Matthew likes this.
  20. Matthew Member

It has been warm today on aMspalomas today the temp clocks on the street showed 43 but I would say it was hotter. In Playa Del Ingles now not lot of warm wind here that warm but still feels warm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.