Gran Canaria Weather - February 2013

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Weather' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's February already friends, and so far so good. The heat turned up a little this week as we had some warm winds and sand from the desert and daytime temperatures are flirting around 27/28ºc degrees, with a cooler evening. There are no weather warnings and the forecast is looking good for the week ahead :D
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  2. It's been pretty dusty/sandy the last few days but now AEMET have put up a yellow weather warning for 'polvo en suspención' (suspended sand) in Gran Canaria. The past few days have been warmer and the cooler evenings which are the norm for Winter, have turned slightly balmy.

I've talked about this phenomena quite a bit on this blog and it's known as a Calima, which is basically just when the winds blow from the East of the Sahara desert and carries over to the islands. The sky is still pretty blue considering so hopefully it will blow over soon and is predicted to last until Tuesday 5th February at 15:00h.

[IMG]

This screenshot from the webcam in Playa del Ingles, shows the sand on the horizon.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet! <3
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Miss Norway likes this.
  3. Matthew Member

Horrible weather :(
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
  4. Miss Norway Active Member

Have som friends who is staying in Maspalomas right now and they posted a video on facebook yesterday where you could see the palmtrees waving pretty much in the wind. Very glad this didnt happend in january!
    Matthew and Gran Canaria Blog like this.
  5. Matthew Member

Has the wind stopped now?
  6. Miss Norway Active Member

7. It's still pretty windy here in Arguineguin but not as much as yesterday, it was like it came out of nowhere! I had to shut all doors and windows yesterday about 4pm as there was sand just blowing into my house! It feels a bit fresher now and it was nowhere near as hot as they get in the Summer, but I imagine the dust has aggravated a few chests. The best thing to do is just use damp cloths instead of brushing up, I'm preparing for a big clean :)

According to AEMET, it has blown through now and it should be a lot clearer tomorrow by the looks of it. I was at Patalavaca beach earlier today and the beach was empty (I have some photos I will upload to the gallery and post a link in here) then within half an hour the sky had cleared slightly (not as brown as it was) and then people appeared out of nowhere! :) Many of them took a break from the beach I imagine and walked down to the market in Arguineguin and had some lunch.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  8. Much clearer today here in Gran Canaria south, the wind has died down and now the sky is much cleaner that previous days. Like other days midday can get quite hot so it's still good for tanning, with a cooler evening. :) Forecast looks good.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  9. Miss Norway Active Member

I can see that there is a new calima. Is it very hot?
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
  10. Early this morning at 8am it was very hazy but I thought it was just a morning haze and it looked like the sun wasn't going to come out, but later in the day whilst at Sonneland I couldn't see the mountains and there was a thick haze. I don't think it was very hot and it's fresh this evening. I think we need a little but of rain to clear that lingering sand away so we can have nice blue skies again.

It is great weather for tanning this week, and that means burning also, so even if it does seem hazy be aware and use sunscreen, shade and so on.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  11. Well after that very dusty episode yesterday, it seems the sky has cleared quite a lot and is back to blue again, which I'm glad as the Carnaval al Sol in Las Palmas is always so much nicer with blue skies. The forecast looks very much the same for the rest of the week until Monday, when it's possible we could see some rain, I've seen this mentioned on 2 websites now AEMET and CazaTormentas so we will see what happens.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  12. Another few days of great weather although a little calima hung around yesterday making it very hazy. The chance of rain has dropped for Monday down to just 10% so it may be that we have sunshine and not the typical rain that we usually see in Carnival season.
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  13. Matthew Member

Looking a bit rainy right now?
  14. It looked rainy earlier on today but the sun soon came out again. 9.20pm in Arguineguin we had some rain, not much but a very light sprinkle, it looked cloudy so who knows if we have some more during the evening. The night temperature has also dropped some, the clock in Puerto Rico bus station said it was 14ºc degrees. It seems the weather has gone back to how it was before we had the calima dust storms a couple of weeks ago.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  15. UPDATE: It's almost 10pm and it seems the rain has picked up a little in Arguineguin, maybe it will clear the air a little.

Apparently the snow has arrived on Mt. Teide in Tenerife too!
    Miss Norway likes this.
  16. Miss Norway Active Member

Do know how it is up in the mountains in Gran Canaria now? Is it very cold? I am thinking of Tejada and Roque nublo.
  17. I'm going to check to see if I can find some images, I went up to Las Palmas yesterday where there were some spits and spats of rain but mostly clear. The mountains looked heavy with cloud though, so I'm not sure about snow. I did find this impressive snowy video of Mt Teide and it's wonderful snow scene taken on 19th February (yesterday)

Miss Norway likes this.
  18. Miss Norway Active Member

It`s really impressing, that it is snowing that much! Do you know if it has been cold at Tenerife? And I mean by the sea, not up in the mountains?
  19. Miss Norway Active Member

How is the weather down there? Looks like its very few people on the beach in Playa del Ingles, and I can see clouds in Puerto Rico.
  20. Matthew Member

I did look cloudy when i was viewing the minigolfyumbo cam yesterday a few people had jumpers on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.