Gran Canaria Weather - July 2013

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Weather' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a brand new month and we are just cooling down after a heatwave at the end of June. Although still hot in the daytime with temperatures of around 32ºc degrees, there is a breeze which brings some relief compared with last week.

As I mentioned in June's weather thread, we could have another 2 heatwaves here in Gran Canaria by the 20th July. Unsure if these will be accompanied by desert sand as yet, but it's quite normal for July to heat up.

The outlook for the week is showing high UV index although no weather warnings to speak of yet.
    Matthew likes this.
  2. Believe it or not it actually rained last night! :eek: It's a while since I've seen rain down here in the south of the island, but last night around 11pm the wind got up and then around midnight or so we had a downpour which lasted about 10 minutes. I wondered what the noise was, it was so lovely and fresh so I went outside. I'm not surprised it rained after the heatwave we just had. It's normal for a 'blink and you'll miss it' rain shower after it's been very hot, usually at night. It helps clear the sky of any dust and sand.
    Matthew likes this.
  3. Another great weather day today, hot but with a welcome breeze and cirrus clouds. I hear we may have that heatwave soon that I mentioned in the first post. The south of Spain is currently experiencing a hot spell with temperatures up to 40ºc degrees so maybe it's the same heatwave that will affect us. I'll update when I know more.
  4. A lovely day, nice breeze but also lovely and sunny :cool: it's Summer my weather reports are getting boring :D
    Miss Norway and Matthew like this.
  5. Matthew Member

Please keep us updated the best you can. This sounds like its going to be way too hot to do anything other than sit somewhere with air con all day. I have just seen a yellow warning on aemet for Tuesday 34c.
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
  6. Oh yes nicely spotted with the new weather warning Matthew, I checked last night but they only go up a few days in advance. Let's see how this one plays out. Today in the south was beautiful - I enjoyed some afternoon sunshine around 5pm as I like to avoid midday and it was plenty hot enough. I notice that when we are expecting a heatwave, I personally get very cold at night times. This happened last night and it's quite cool now also compared with the hot day time temperatures which must be around 32ºc degrees but bearable. :cool:

p.s Here is a photo of the beach at Patalavaca last night at 7.30pm it was still hot enough to sunbathe and swim
    http://instagram.com/p/bcM6O0PdTE/
  7. It's July so it's already hot hot hot in the Canary Islands but from Tuesday 9th we are in for a heatwave, according to AEMET.

So far the low risk yellow warning is showing 34ºc degrees for Tuesday, rising up to 36ºc degrees on Wednesday in Gran Canaria. It seems the whole island will be affected except for the North.

Keep updated on the local weather in Gran Canaria over on Gran Canaria Forum where I make a daily report from the south of the island.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet! <3
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
  8. It's very hazy outside here in Arguineguin, but the sun is shining through the clouds and is quite intense. Despite having a heatwave warning, I don't think it's as hot, thankfully there is a cool breeze. I think the main bother is if the wind gets warm and then I can understand why we would have a heatwave warning. For now, it's not so bad, just a greyish sky. :cool:
    Matthew likes this.
  9. Another hot day, I don't think it warrants a weather warning however. Evenings are still fresh and I haven't had to use the fan or Air Con as there is a breeze blowing through. The south coast is fresh if you can get a sea breeze but as I experienced earlier today, the further inland you get, the more sticky. The wind is also warmer inland. Looks like the current heatwave warning will be in place until Friday so far.
    Matthew likes this.
  10. Same story, it's quite hot and hazy - I'm starting to miss the lovely blue sky, the calima (suspended sand) is right over the islands. It's not the worst heatwave/calima we've had and saying all this even with the high temperatures the wind is nice and cool, at least by the ocean.
    AEMET have left the heatwave warnings in place for Gran Canaria right up until Saturday at least, with 34ºc degrees heat warning. I'm glad it's still cool enough at night, so I don't have to use the fan and still have sheets on my bed.
  11. Matthew Member

Thanks for all the updates :) nice to know that it is not as bad as it sounded.
  12. A cloudy start to the day, around 9am it was looking quite overcast but then it soon brightened up and now we have bright blue skies. It's still pretty hot, must be about 32ºc degrees and last night felt warmer too. We are clear of weather warnings for now, which is good news.
  13. Matthew Member

With the weather being warm here (South Wales) when I come to Gran Canaria I might feel the heat a bit less.
  14. Yes I heard it was finally Summer time in the UK! You will be used to it in no time.

Here in south of Gran Canaria, it's lovely as we still have the cool breeze despite the intense heat from the sun. Really nice today, bright blue sky and sunshine. Day time temperatures must be around 31ºc degrees, but pleasant. No weather warnings just lovely hot Summer weather.
    Matthew likes this.
  15. Another lovely week of weather here in the south of Gran Canaria with high temps of around 32ºc degrees in the daytime but with sea breeze. It's really pleasant at the moment, the sun is pretty intense though so make sure to grab some shade to avoid burning. :cool:
    Matthew likes this.
  16. Matthew Member

Back to normal weather here in UK dark and rainy can not wait be out in Gran Canaria soon :)
  17. As we come to the end of July we're still having beautiful weather, blue skies and hot temperatures. The perfect remedy is a cool down in the ocean and some shade on the beach with a good book, which is hopefully what I'll be doing in a few days. :)
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  18. Matthew Member

Been viewing the webcams this afternoon and the blue sky has gone? looks gray there :(
  19. Matthew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.