Gran Canaria Weather - March 2013

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Weather' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where did February go? Here we are the 1st of March almost midnight but I will quickly post, we do have a storm on the way to the Canary Islands that is currently hovering over the Azores and will makes it's presence in Gran Canaria over this weekend.

If you take a look at today's blog post:
    http://www.grancanariablog.com/2013/03/storm-warning-for-canaries-010313.html

.... I've written about the storm warning with hurricane winds expected and also there are some photographs from the beach at Arguineguin today, one minute the sky was blue with wispy clouds, the next it was super cloudy and stormy looking.

I do hope the predicted rain for tomorrow doesn't affect the Carnival celebrations in Arguineguin too much, it would be such a shame.

I will give more updates when I see anything new, for now I have moved my plantpots from the edges of the balcony and secured my garden furniture as recommended by the Canarian Governement.

As a side note: When the sun is out it's still very warm around 27Âșcdegrees.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  2. AEMET released a storm warning for the Canary Islands with hurricane winds more than 100 km/h and heavy rain.

The rain is set to arrive in Gran Canaria on Saturday 2nd March with Sunday 3rd bringing the yellow warning of wind and rain, orange for the peak areas.

[IMG]

This afternoon in Arguineguin it was beautiful but very wavy on Playa la Lajilla. There were plenty of people enjoying refreshments at local Sol y Sombra restaurant although only 3 people having a splash in the water.

[IMG]

In a matter of half an hour, the sky changed from this....

[IMG]

to this stormy scene!

[IMG]

You can follow my updates on the weather over at Gran Canaria Forum weather discussion, in which most updates will come from the south of the island.

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet! <3
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Miss Norway likes this.
  3. A very cloudy start to the day but mild as the day went on, no rain so far and some bright spells although it's cloudy in Arguineguin.
    Miss Norway and Matthew like this.
  4. Matthew Member

Miss Norway likes this.
  5. Miss Norway Active Member

I read that a storm is heading towards the island today. You must keep us informed. :)
  6. Matthew Member

It is looking very cloudy on the webcams today in Gran Canaria. Some hazy sun most people seem to be walking around in shorts and t-shirts so it must be warm as well.
    Miss Norway likes this.
  7. Today started out sunny/cloudy yes but in the last hour the wind has gotten up and it's gone really cloudy. The Government has now put the islands on ALERTA MAXIMA for high wind. The storm is going to sweep in from the western islands through to Gran Canaria, with hurricane strength winds up to 130 kph.

Here you can see the alerts from AEMET: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos?w=hoy&k=coo

Here you can see the webcams for Puerto de Mogan - Playa del Ingles - Puerto Rico

According to the warnings and alerts it's to be expected by 8pm tonight but could be sooner by the looks of it, I will keep you updated on any change.
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  8. UPDATE: Schools will remain closed tomorrow (Monday) in La Palma, La Gomera, Tenerife, El Hierro and Gran Canaria
    via Canarias7 http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=294070

8.30pm: The wind is really up in Arguineguin now! I think we are in for quite the night! The news is about to start on TV Canaria the headline 'Situacion Emergencia'

The news is showing how people have prepared for the storm by 'battening down the hatches' using wood up against their doors and garages in Lanzarote to stop possible flooding.
  9. The Canary Islands Government recommends that people follow these tips due to a rain alert:

Before winter arrives, reviews the state of the roofs, drains, etc. If you live near a
    ravine inform your City Council if it is filled with rubbish, rubble, etc.

o

With the imminent arrival of heavy rain, observe any instructions given by the
    media.

o

Never (even in summer) camp in places likely to flood, beds of ravines, etc.

o

Where possible, stay at home, unless you live in a high risk area, like the foot of
    a valley.

o

Avoid driving. If it is absolutely necessary, proceed with extreme caution;
    moderate your speed and use of the brakes.

o

Pay particular attention to water levels. If the car starts to fill with water, abandon
    the vehicle and proceed to safe ground.

o

Stay on highways or major roads, avoiding forest tracks and using the lower
    gears.

o

If you have to cross fast moving water, tie a rope to your waist and attached the
    other end to a fixed or heavy object.

o

Do not cross bridges if water is flowing over them.

o

If the problem surprises you at home, avoid toxics or flammable materials keep in
    contact with water.

o

Do not enter into flooded areas of the house such as garages, basements, etc.

o

Take the stairs not the elevator; the electricity supply can fail at any moment.

o

Switch off electrical power.

o

If the case arises, do not hesitate to leave the house, going to a higher place, or
    where the authorities are advising.

o

If the water isolates you on the top of your house, do not attempt to swim as
    currents can drag you under. Wait for help.

o

Do not take any risks, be cautious and patient. Help will arrive.

o

After an emergency evacuation, do not return home until authorised technicians
    tell you that it is safe.

o

Once you can get into your house, do not light matches, create sparks or use
    lighting.

o

Drink only bottled water.

o

In case of emergency please call 1-1-2.

o

For any request for information call 012.
    Information via http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/dgse/descargas/consejos/rain.pdf
  10. My lights just dimmed here in south Gran Canaria hope the electric stays ok, candles and flashlight at the ready. Very strong winds outside there, was a drizzle of rain earlier but so far just terrible wind.
  11. Matthew Member

Horrible :(
  12. UPDATE 22.35h
    The winds seems stronger again, and especially in Puerto Rico so looks like this is coming right over the ocean.... hearing lots of loud bangs outside now, hoping all my garden furniture is still there in the morning!
  13. UPDATE 22:50h
    Holy Cow! The rain is crazy torrential blowing sideways in Arguineguin - after 5 minutes I already have a small flood, which I had put towels down earlier for, as it is coming under the door. I'm more worried about rain coming down through the ceiling, thought I felt a drop before but hope I'm mistaken.
  14. Miss Norway Active Member

It sounds like a terrible evening/night! :( How is it today, has it stopped, and how is it in your house? Hope you didnt get water trough your ceiling.....
  15. I didn't update through the night and today as I'm sick with flu, but the wind was very strong in the night. This morning started off grey and blustery but then started to rain very intensely a few hours ago in Puerto Rico, some of the roads look like rivers.

The water didn't come through the ceiling fortunately just under the doors from the sideways rain and wind. It seems to have been much worse in certain areas, with fallen trees and a roof ripped off in a school.

My tv signal keeps going off and rattling windows. Most islands still have the red alert for wind and rain.

It seems to have stopped for now in Arguineguin, and looks a little brighter.
  16. Miss Norway Active Member

I also have the flu, not very funny....:( I can see that the weather is calmer now, but it`s not sun right now in Puerto Rico. Hope the weather will turn better in next week, I have a grandfather that is going to Puerto Rico, and I really hope the sun will shine. :)
  17. Sorry to hear you also have flu Miss Norway! Hoping you feel better very soon though. I haven't felt good since Friday night - just keep warm and feel better! It rained a little during the night and early hours when I was awake with a headache but the wind has died down now. According to AEMET the weather warnings are gone, although we could have a few cloudy days.

Right now I see blue sky but there is a large cloud looming over Puerto Rico. You can see the live cam here
    Picture 31.png
  18. Since the storm we have had a lovely week of weather and yesterday afternoon I noticed it was very hot at one point, temperatures must have been about 28Âșc degrees in the sun. At some point it went cloudy and also today in Arguineguin has been quite a cloudy day. There are no weather warnings according to AEMET, but we could have a few more cloudy/sunny days this week.

My favourite Spanish weather forum Caza Tormentas reports that we could have some rain from 15-18th March on the Islands. I will keep an eye on this.

[IMG]
  19. Miss Norway Active Member

Hope it not will rain.... My grandfather is on his way to the island right now and I really hope the weather will be nice. At least not rain. :)
    Her in Norway we have -12 degrees right now. Very cold! :confused: We are going to Thailand soon, and are staying there in the easter. Looking forward to that! :D
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.