Gran Canaria Weather - September 2013

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Weather' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a new month - hello September! Typically temperatures are still high in September and it still feels like Summer. The 2nd week we usually see a change in tides, I notice this every year but don't really know any science behind it except that the season is changing back into Spring. (I know it will be Autumn but it's still so warm I like to think that we have 2 seasons. :)

The outlook for this first week looks good, I just checked AEMET, no weather warnings or dust storms that I can see.

Looking at CazaTormentas, they seem to think there is some kind of tropical system around the 5th and 6th of September, and result in rain.

[IMG]
    Today however is blue sky, sunshine and temperatures of around 30ºc degrees or a little more. A great start to the month.
    Miss Norway and Matthew like this.
  2. Matthew Member

What is the weather doing today please I see on AEMET there is a warning for high temperatures?
  3. You're correct Matthew, it's been very hot today with a yellow weather warning, but according to AEMET it's only for today. To be honest I think it's just 'Summer' weather yesterday was stifling early in the morning and there wasn't a weather warning for that. AEMET say tomorrow won't be as hot and then the few days after that will be cooler.

Check out this photo taken of a huge white dust cloud over Gran Canaria taken from Tenerife!
    http://www.cazatormentas.net/foro/s...canarias-septiembre-2013/msg661148/#msg661148

On CazaTormentas they are still talking about this possibility of rain closer to the weekend, but will know nearer the time. Looks like it will be hot again tomorrow but not as intense as today. :cool:
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  4. Matthew Member

well it looks like the rain has turned into clear blue sky.
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.
  5. AEMET have issued a yellow weather warning for storms in the 'Islas Orientales' namely Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria. The electrical storm is sweeping over from the East and heavy rain has already occurred in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura so far.

The warning is in place until 11pm this evening (6th September). According to Canarias7 there was also rain early this afternoon in Gran Canaria's capital, Las Palmas.

Despite the warning for rain and storms, the air is still very humid and the sunshine has been out for most of the day in the south of Gran Canaria.

[IMG]

Map of lightning over the islands
    [IMG]

Stay updated on Gran Canaria Forum's weather discussion here.

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet!
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Matthew likes this.
  6. Had a walk earlier and could see impressive clouds out at sea, but it's been cloudy/sunny all day here in the south of Gran Canaria. If we see anything of this storm I think it could be during the night and it's still very humid, I can hear the buzz of air conditioning nearby. I think it would be cool to have a nice lightning show. Will update again if it sounds like rain or anything interesting. :)
    Matthew likes this.
  7. Well it doesn't look like it rained or anything during the night, so I'm thinking the storm must have passed over us here in Gran Canaria. This morning in the south we have blue sky and sunshine to start to day :)
    Matthew and Miss Norway like this.
  8. Another beautiful day here in the south of Gran Canaria! Earlier on I was at Las Meloneras and the wind suddenly got very gusty, blowing sand off the beach and some crazy waves but it was for about 10 minutes and I can't remember seeing a cloud today it was very hot. :cool:
    Matthew likes this.
  9. Matthew Member

Nice that is it still hot in Gran Canaria. Here I can feel that winter is coming only going to be about 14C here today. Everyone enjoy the canary sunshine if you are on holidays before you come back home to the cold brrrrrr.
  10. It's a little bit stormy in the Canaries at the moment and we are on lookout for Hurrican Humberto which is west of the Canary Islands in the Atlantic. I'm currently away from the islands so I'm also staying up to date with this weather system online. I do know that it rained in Puerto Rico this morning though, although it mustn't be too cold as there are still people playing mini golf on the live webcam stream from Playa del Ingles.

From what I gather, the hurricane may not affect the islands much but there is a lot of chatter about it as we suffered from Tropical Storm Delta years ago. I will try to keep updating as much as I can but bare in mind I'm also trying to enjoy a little holiday of my own ;)
    Matthew likes this.
  11. Matthew Member

Here today in Wales it is hammering down with rain and also not got fully light all day :( Just been viewing the minigolfyumbo webcam (as i always do lol) I can see a few black clouds in the sky. You going to be having some of Hurrican Humberto today?
  12. Sorry for lack of updates, but I needed a bit of a break :) This last week has felt quite intensely hot and sticky. There have been clouds about, but only a very light shower occurred as far as I know in Puerto Rico and a little heavier up in Mogan pueblo last week.

Today in the south started off pretty cloudy, but soon cleared into a scorching day with temps of about 29ºc degrees. Evenings are still quite balmy, but I think they should start to cool a little soon. According to AEMET we are due some rain later on this week, even down in the south of Gran Canaria. No weather warnings to report of.
    Matthew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.